Regional Refuse Disposal District One

Serving the towns of Barkhamsted, New Hartford, and Winsted

Fiscal year (July 1 - June 30) sticker sales will begin Monday, May 21, 2018. 
Currently you may purchase a partial year sticker, which is valid until June 30 for $50.*  
Or a day pass, single one day use for residents, at a cost of $15*
Note: Additional charges may be accessed for items other than basic kitchen household garbage.  See the attendant on duty or call extention 105 for additional information.
PLEASE- DO NOT DISPOSE of ANY liquid in any container without first asking!  
These may be dangerous to your health and the health of our staff!
RRDD1 invites you to bid on the following items:
     Purchase and install TWO trash compactors, as well as move and install the two existing ones to other areas on site.
     Wood grinding of stumps, brush and pallets
     Auditor for Fiscal Year ending 6/30/2018, 2019, 2020 
Bid information may be obtained by calling:  860-379-1972 x 111, email:  dangell@rrdd1.com or downloading the information from the downloads page. dadangell@rrdd1.comngell@rrdd1.com
New brochure: Downloads tab / Other meetings/ 1RRDD-2017 
NEW:  Surveillance cameras are now operational on site!   Please do not attempt to dispose of ANYTHING improperly, remember you are on camera! Those not obeying the rules and regulations may lose their dumping privileges!  RRDD1 has rules and regulations set forth by the State of CT that MUST be followed!  These R&R are to protect you and the employees. Attempting to dispose of HAZARDOUS WASTE incorrectly is a danger to you and the staff!  Note: Two employees were sent to the emergency room a few weeks ago because someone, prior to the cameras being operational, threw away a chemical on site.    RRDD1 CANNOT accept chemicals of any nature for this reason, they are dangerous, especially when hidden amongst other debris!  DON'T DO IT! Save your chemicals for the annual HHW day.   
Monday: 7:00 - 3:00 (sticker required - or a day pass with proper ID)
Tuesday: CLOSED
Wednesday: 7:00 - 3:00  (sticker required - or a day pass with proper ID)
                      CLOSED 3:00 - 4:00  
                       4:00 - 7:00 limited* access - lower level ONLY! 
                                     (*NO ACCESS  to Construction & Demolition  / Oversized Municipal Solid Waste / Leaves / Brush etc. area on Wednesday 4-7)
                                     Note: Sticker required for household trash.  No sticker required for RESIDENTS from Barkhamsted, New Hartford, and/or Winsted/Winchester for recyclables**.  
                                     **Recyclables include newspaper, magazines, junk mail, office paper, soft covered books, food/beverage personal care containers (#1 -#7,except black), metal cans, waxed cardboard, and aseptic packaging which all go in the "single stream" containers. 
                                       We also accept cardboard / boxboard which are deposited ONLY in the cardboard compactor, just before the "tag sale" building. 
                                       Additional items accepted in the lower level: electronics, small tv's, hard cover books (except enclycopedias), tire tubes, small appliances (without freon), propane tanks, batteries, clothing, light bulbs, used MOTOR oil and spent antifreeze and mattresses.
                       NOT ACCEPTED ON WEDNESDAY EVENINGS: CONSTRUCTION / DEMOLITION / OVERSIZED MUNICIPAL SOLID WASTE (furniture / carpets / tires / large appliances / etc.), WOOD (including but not limited to brush, stumps, pallets, fencing)
                                                                                                                 CLEAN FILL and LEAVES!  Residents must have a sticker or a day pass to use the upper C&D / Oversized MSW lot! 
Thursday: CLOSED
Friday: 7:00- 3:00 (sticker required or a day pass with proper ID)
Saturday: 7:00- 3:00 (sticker required or a day pass with proper ID)
Sunday: CLOSED
Construction and Demolition / Oversized Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) area (upper lot):
         SCALE CLOSES AT 3:00!  All vehicles MUST weight out before 3:00, otherwise a late penalty may be accessed. 

PLEASE NOTE:  The facility has two bar style gates upon entry.   If the right side facing gate is closed, with the "STOP" sign showing,  DO NOT ENTER the facility, it is CLOSED!    The left facing side may be open for other reasons, such as the employees coming to work before 7:00 AM, or between 3-4 on Wednesday evenings, while an employee is on their dinner break, or a variety of other reasons.        NO TRESPASSING! 



          Closed Monday, December 25, 2017 for Christmas

          Closed Monday, January 1, 2018 for New Year's Day

           Closed Monday, May 28, 2018 for Memorial Day

           Closed Wednesday, July, 2018 for Independance Day

           Closed Monday, September 3, 2018 for Labor Day

           Closing at noon Monday, December 24, 2018 for Christmas Eve 

In the RARE case we close for inclement weather, please check www.facebook.com/regionalrefuse or call the gatehouse ext 105 (daytime hours) or the tag sale building, ext 104 (Wednesday evenings 4-7) before heading to the facility.





ANNUAL      $ 85      

1/2 year         $ 50      

Contractor   $160     

Residents are required to have a new sticker on their car by July 1, 2017.   Any vehicle without a 2017/ 2018 sticker will be turned away on July 1 and afterwards.   Second vehicle stickers are available for an additional $5 when a first sticker is purchased, with proof of residency, same household. (Each apartment MUST have their own sticker or a contractor sticker.) Replacement stickers are available FREE of charge IF you return the original.  Failure to return the original will cost the resident $5 and the original sticker may get into the hands of someone else, who may dispose of an item or more in the incorrect container, thus possibly resulting in additional contamination costs to the original resident.  Do not let this happen to you.   NO RESIDENT OR CONTRACTOR IS PERMITTED TO BRING IN ITEMS COLLECTED FROM A PROPERTY OR BUSINESS OUTSIDE OF THE DISTRICT!   



      New policy and procedures are in place to ensure that RRDD1 does not have a reoccurance of what happened in April of 2015, causing the District to close the oil collection area for 11 months, totally rebuilding the area from scratch and having to satisfy state authorities, plus invoices in excess of $108,000! 

       Please stop at the gatehouse to pick up a form, complete the form, including your signature and YOUR RRDD#1 VEHICLE sticker number (if no sticker, municipal residents can bring in used motor oil on Wednesday evenings, 4-6:30 with a valid ID), then proceed to the yard attendant with your form.  They will escort you to the oil room for proper disposal, taking a sampling of your oil.  Please note ONLY USED MOTOR OIL and SPENT ANTIFREEZE will be accepted, and ONLY if the resident will attest that they know where the oil came from.  Limit five gallons per day per resident!  We can no longer accept 55 gallon drums!  We will not accept any other type of fluid, including oil and water mixed, transmission fluid, gas or diesel, kerosene, or sludge, or any mixture thereof.   No commercial or industrial fluids will be accepted.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS: 

Stickers (Transfer Station Pass)

- Who can get a sticker? Residents of the Towns of Barkhamsted (including Riverton), New Hartford (including Pine Meadow) and Winsted/Winchester ONLY! 

- How do I pay for my sticker? The gatehouse attendant will accept cash or check ONLY!  No debit or credit cards accepted! 

- How do I get a sticker? Stickers may be purchased upon entry, direct from the gatehouse.

-What will I need to buy a sticker? 1.) Motor Vehicle Registration showing YOUR current address.  If address is different, you must bring some sort of ID showing your residency, such as driver's license, mail or town tax bill. 

- Can I get a sticker for my spouse's car? Yes, additional stickers may be purchased at the gatehouse for $5 each.  Proof of residency, at the SAME household of the primary sticker holder is required.  

- Can I buy a sticker for my tenant? Landlords may purchase a CONTRACTOR sticker for $160, which will enable them to bring garbage from their tenants.  The tenant can then purchase a $5 sticker, same address.  

- Can I buy a $5 sticker for my neighbor? No!  Stickers are sold, with proof of residency, to single family households, same address, same apartment number.  

- How do you know I have a sticker?  Once purchased, stickers are affixed to each vehicle windshield, by the RRDD1 gatehouse attendant.  Upon entry, the attendant sees the current sticker and the resident will be waved in. (Please remove snow from the sticker area for easy visibility by the gatekeeper.)

- How do you know the sticker is current? Look carefully at your sticker, each one has an expiration date in the center white circle, under the year (regular stickers).  

- Why are there different colored stickers? Great question! Color quickly shows the gatehouse attendant the expiration. For example, Fiscal Year 15/16 one half year stickers were brown, whereas the full year stickers are purple.  Brown allowed the resident access from date of purchase (beginning late May) until December 31, while purple stickers expire  on June 30.   

- When will sales begin for the new stickers? Fiscal Year 17/18 sticker sales are scheduled to start on Monday, May 22, 2017.  Residents may begin to use the facility immediately upon purchase.  Stickers are to be affixed to each windshield upon purchase by the attendant. 

- How much will the stickers be this year?  RRDD#1 is currently preparing the FY 17/18 budget.  At this time, we do anticipate an increase in sticker fees.  We are looking at all avenues to keep prices down for the District. 

- When are you open so that I can dispose of my trash, I have a sticker?  RRDD#1 is open Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday from 7:00 -3:00 and Wednesday evenings 4-7  for sticker holders. Non-sticker holders may deposit recyclable items on Wednesday evenings.   Note: The upper section (Construction & Demolition / Oversized MSW) is NOT open Wednesday evenings. 

- My vehicle is in the shop, can I bring another vehicle (rental) that does not have a sticker? Upon entry, show the gatehouse attendant your ID and give him/her your sticker number.  They will verify the number and give you a temporary pass for the day.  

- I need to get rid of a sofa and it won't fit in my car, can my friend use the transfer station?  Yes, your friend can bring your sofa to RRDD#1 under your sticker number.  However, your friend CANNOT bring items from their household unless they have a sticker or purchase a day pass.

- I'm cleaning out my family estate.  Can I bring in a rented truck as I live out of town?  So sorry for your loss.  If your family home is within the municipality and they previously purchased a current sticker, you may utilize the facility with their number.  Please be sure to bring identification showing the items are from the property, such as the estate legal form.  If they did not have a sticker, you can purchase one in the estate's name / address, with proof.  You may also purchase a day pass with proof of residency, for $15.  Additional fees apply for unsorted loads, construction and demolition debris, and oversized municipal solid waste such as furniture and rugs, plus items containing freon, such as refrigerators, air conditioners and humidifiers.  

-Can I dump leaves on Wednesday night? No, Wednesday evening 4-7 has limited access, the upper area (C&D / Oversized MSW) is closed. 

- Do I need a sticker to bring in leaves and brush? You either need a sticker to enter or residents may purchase a one day pass for $15 (allowing you use of the facility for that day only - numerous trips are allowed). Please note that there is an additional charge for brush, but not for leaves.  Do not mix brush and leaves together.  

- Can I drop off my sofa on Wednesday night? No, Wednesday evening 4-7 has limited access, the upper area (C&D / Oversized MSW) is closed. 

What is going on on top of the hill?

Excellent question! RRDD#1 has leased a parcel of property for a solar panel project, containing about 4800 solar panels.  The project is near completion.  Thank you all so very much for your patience during the construction phase. It is expected to be commissioned by end of winter  2017.   Continue to drive with care during the construction period and always. 

What can I recycle?   Where do they go? 

Please pack your car accordingly so that once on site, the removal of items from your car will be much faster for you! 

Cardboard / Boxboard:  Cardboard is the heavy corrugated box(s) that items are generally shipped in.   Boxboard is the thinner packaging material, such as cereal and cracker boxes.  Please place these items in the "cardboard/ boxboard" compactor (your first stop past the gatehouse, located to the right of the "tag sale" building).  Residents are reminded to remove the contaminants (liners) from cardboard, such as plastic wine box liners, plastic cereal liners or styrofoam.  Note: Please DO NOT place waxed food and beverage containers, such as milk and juice boxes, or stick butter boxes in this unit.  Waxed items go directly into single stream. (Although cardboard and boxboard can go into single stream, we prefer to have customers place these items in the compactor as they will take up less space, saving the facility money on transportation among other things.) 

Tag sale items:  RRDD1 has a continuously running "tag sale" event on site for residents with stickers.  Non stickered resident vehicles are permitted on Wednesday night from 4-7  for recycling.  While on site, they may shop in the tag sale building.  Tag sale items are donated from customers who no longer wish to keep that item in their home, but the product is still viable.  In an effort to keep costs down at RRDD1 and recycle more, we offer second hand merchandise for sale.  This includes dishes, clothing, furniture, building materials, tools, household appliances, bikes, books, lawn ornaments and lawn mowers, plus so much more.   Please see the attendant on duty before leaving items or to purchase items.  

Small metal:  A small black hopper, located to the left of the "tag sale" building, is labeled "small metal." Please place small metal items such as small microwaves, metal racks, chairs, etc into this bin. Please see the yard attendant for questions.  Please cut off all cords or ask the attendant to do so for you.  

Electrical Wire: Located just behind the small metal hopper.  This is for electrical cords that are no longer usable, such as bad extension cords, plus plugs from electronics and other electrical appliances.  

Wire:  Used wire, see attendant 

Clothing: There is a chute to the right of the first trash compactor for clothing of all kinds.  Items MUST be placed in plastic bags.  See the tag sale attendant for additional information.  "Good" clothing is also accepted inside the tag sale building for resale.  

Garbage Compactor(s): There are two household garbage compactors on site, just past the "tag sale" building, on your right.  These are for SORTED household garbage only.    Inspectors are available for your questions.  Anyone caught with unsorted trash will be kindly asked to deposit their trash in a container on the hill, for an additional fee.  SORTED means no recyclables; including batteries, boxboard or cardboard, magazines, newspapers and inserts, metal, motor oil or antifreeze, office paper, plastics #1- #7 (UNLESS THEY ARE BLACK or contaminated from chemicals), glass food and beverage containers, propane tanks, windows, mattresses / box springs.   Please do not place the following items in the garbage compactor: wood longer than three feet, garden hoses, rope, tarps, or lengths of plastic. These items can damage the compactor.  These items MUST be delivered to the upper lot.

Aluminum Hopper: An aluminum hopper is located between the two trash compactors.  Please deposit all aluminum products in this container, such as beverage cans, pet and other food containers, antennas, clothing racks, etc.   

Single Stream Containers:  There are FOUR single stream containers on site, with eight openings to select from.  While all are the same, we ask you to watch the signage carefully as some units may be full and others removed for transport.  Please place the following items in these boxes: magazines, newspapers, office paper, plastics #1 -#7 (except BLACK plastic or items that contained chemicals), waxed and plastic milk and juice cartons, glass and metal food or beverage containers.  Please be sure to wash (or at lease rinse out) your containers first!  Food left in recyclable containers is not acceptable.  DO NOT PLACE PLASTIC BAGS IN SINGLE STREAM CONTAINERS!  TAKE MERCHANDISE / GROCERY STORE PLASTIC BAGS BACK TO THE STORE FOR PROPER DISPOSAL!  Black plastic is not recyclable, place these units in the trash and ask your grocer to stop using black plastic! Please remove all lids from food and beverage containers.  Lids are to be placed in garbage dumpsters.

Shredded Paper: Place all shredded paper in paper bags that can be sealed / closed and deposit this container into single stream boxes.   DO NOT release shredded paper from a plastic bag.  Place the plastic bag, with contents, into the garbage container.   Please make sure all lids are off containers.  

FULL "office" boxes of paper:  Full cardboard boxes of office paper may be placed in the single stream containers. 

Books: Hard and soft cover books are recyclable.  Please place this reading material in the metal container opposite the trash compactors.  Note: The tag sale building attendant may take some hard and soft cover books. Please ask.  Note: NO encyclopedias or school subject books, please place these hard covered books in the trash and  soft covered books in single stream.  

Propane Tank: Gently place your  20 pound and under used propane tank  in the lean-to appropriately labeled. Larger tanks need to be transported to the construction and demolition / oversized MSW (previously known as "Bulky Waste") area on top of the hill.  See attendant for additional information. NEVER put a propane tank of any size in a dumpster or hopper, this includes the small camp stove tanks! 

Tire Tubes: Place tire tubes in the hopper appropriately labeled.  This is next to the propane lean-to. 

Batteries: Please place all batteries in their marked containers, located in a lean-to building opposite the trash compactors.

Paint: RRDD1 accepts household oil and latex paint, as well as stains. We do not accept auto paint!  Please see the yard or tag sale attendant before depositing these items.  

Light Bulbs:  Please see the tag sale attendant for recycling of all light bulbs.  

Used Motor Oil: RRDD1 will soon be accepting used motor oil and spent antifreeze.  We WILL NOT  be accepting gas, diesel, hydraulic, brake, propane, solvents or sludge, etc.  Antifreeze and used motor oil must arrive separated otherwise it will not be accepted.  No water tainted liquid will be accepted.  Limit 5 gallons per day.  Household only! No commercial or industrial liquids accepted.  Residents will be required to complete a form during each visit, attesting where the oil came from.   Samples will also be collected.   

Electronics: Small used electronics and small (12") televisions may be placed in the  gaylords (boxes) in the electronics lean-to across from the trash compactor.  Larger televisions and electronics are to be taken to the upper level and skidded for transportation off premises.  Electrical plugs are to be removed and placed in the electrical wire hopper.  If you need assistance, ask the yard attendant for help. 

Mattress / Box Springs: CT became the first state in the nation to begin the mattress stewardship council, whereas residents drop off these items at local recycling centers at NO CHARGE!  Please see the attendant for proper disposal.

Refrigerator Doors: For safety purposes, ALL refrigerator doors MUST be removed by the resident prior to disposal at RRDD1.


Dirty vs Clean Shingles: What is meant by "dirty" vs. "clean" shingles?  Clean shingles are just that, while dirty refers to other debris mixed in with the shingles, such as wood shakes, plywood, skids, etc.  It is much more costly to  dispose of "dirty" shingles, and not as good forthe environment, therefore, we strongly encourage residents to ensure their shingles come into the facility separated.  

Bulky Waste vs. C&D and Oversized MSW:  What does C&D / Oversized MSW mean?  While the upper section of RRDD1 was once called "Bulky Waste," today's terminology is a better fit with construction and demolition debris and oversized municipal solid waste.  Oversized Municipal Solid Waste can be anything larger than "regular" household garbage, such as furniture, rugs, large children's toys, etc.

Black food containers: If black plastic containers can't be recycled, then why do food stores use them? Answer: Black plastic is made from  low cost CPET (Crystalline Polyethylene Terephthalate), primarily used for "ready" meals, hence, why food stores use them.  Optical sorting machines cannot see the black during recycling.  In a money driven industry, black plastic has a very low value at end market.  Work is being done to someday accept these products for recycling. 

Wrapping paper: Can I recycle gift wrapping paper?  No, this goes in regular trash because of the coating on it. 

Feed bags: Plastic animal feed bags are currently not recyclable.

Scale:  What is the purpose of the scale? The purchase of your sticker allows you to dispose of your household garbage and recyclables whenever the facility is open, at no additional charge for most items (see Information tab/ Bulky Waste/ Fee Schedule.) The scale comes into play when utilizing the upper lot, otherwise known as construction and demolition debris and oversized municipal solid waste.  Many  items deposited in this area have additional fees, unrelated to household garbage. These items may include: unsorted household garbage, sheetrock, wood, fiberglass, furniture, rugs, refrigerants, shingles and tires.  There are no additional fees for metal, unless it contains freon, televisions, mattresses, box springs, or leaves.  See the fee schedule.  

We will continue to add to this list as questions arise, in an effort to educate the residents as well as keep costs down. 

We are currently in the process of updating our web pages.  Please bear with us during this production.  

For additional questions: please contact us at (860)379-1972  ext 111.



Copyright © 2016 by "R.R.D.D.1" All Rights reserved E-Mail: dangell@rrdd1.com Phone (860) 379-1972